Nominet (.uk registry) will start accepting applications to register "short" domain names from 12:00 GMT on 1 December 2010. The list of domain names to be released can be viewed here.
The complete rules relating to the release process can be viewed here.
There will be four phases:
1. Registered Rights Sunrise (1 December 2010 – 17 January 2011)
Reserved for holders of Eligible Trade Marks exactly matching the short domain being made available (excluding the suffix co.uk, org. uk etc) and in force as of 1 January 2008 AND who can provide evidence of bona fide use in the UK on or before 1 January 2008, to the satisfaction of an independent IP rights validation assessor.
2. Unregistered Rights Sunrise (to be confirmed)
Reserved for holders of registered and unregistered trade marks. The Unregistered Rights Sunrise phase is for (i) any person who would have qualified for the first sunrise but missed the application deadline and (ii) the holders of unregistered rights enforceable in the UK exactly matching the short domain being made available and in force as of 1 January 2008 AND who can provide evidence of bona fide use in the UK on or before 1 January 2008, to the satisfaction of an independent IP rights validation assessor.
After submitting the application a unique identifier is sent to us. This reference number will be used to complete the IP rights validation. The deadline for applying to have IP rights validated is 1200 GMT on 31 January 2011.
Evidence of use of the trade mark in the UK on or before 1 January 2008 is required in pdf format. The dated evidence should include:
• Marketing material, such as copies of posters, mailers, packaging, point of sale material, stills of TV ads;
• Documents such as invoices, correspondence and annual reports;
• Photos of actual products bearing the mark.
• The Applicant and the owner of the registration cited must be the same individual or corporate body.
• me.uk application can only be made by individuals.
• The trade mark registration must be identical to the domain name(s) applied for (except .co.uk etc suffixes).
• Nominet will accept:
o letter combinations separated by gaps (i.e. "A A"), by full stops (i.e. "A.A."), because full stops are customarily used to indicate gaps; and
o in trade mark registrations for logos or devices that include text, non-textual elements (i.e. A[picture]A).
• Nominet will not accept:
o letter combinations separated by other punctuation (i.e. "A,A")
o letter combinations separated by "and", "&" or similar (i.e. "A and A", "A&A", "A'n’A")
3. Landrush (to be confirmed)
Interested parties can register domain names not previously registered through the Registered Rights Sunrise or the Unregistered Rights Sunrise.
4. General Availability (to be confirmed)
Domain names not previously registered through the Registered Rights Sunrise, Unregistered Rights Sunrise or the Landrush will be available for registration on a first-come, first-served basis.
Multiple applications: At each stage, where there are two or more qualifying applicants for a domain name, an open auction process will be used to decide the successful applicant, with any profits going to Nominet Trust.
An “Eligible Trade Mark” is a trade mark which has been registered and where the registration meets the following criteria:
• The mark text of the trade mark exactly matches the domain name being applied for;
• The trade mark registration is in force in the UK;
• The registration date of the trade mark is on or before 1 January 2008;
• The trade mark continues to be in force at the date the Application is validated by the Validation Agent; and
• The trade mark has been put to use in the UK in relation to a genuine offering of goods or services on or before 1 January 2008 as determined by the Validation Agent in its absolute discretion.
Registered Rights Sunrise - £110.00 per domain name (including the validation and two year registration fee)
Unregistered Rights Sunrise – £120.00 per domain name (including the validation and two year registration fee)
The Sunrise Whois is accessible here.
All application requests must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The costs exclude VAT and are non-refundable.